Tuesday 21 January 2020

'Best' worship songs going into 2020

Ignore the headline, this is about the songs that we're using at Exeter Network Church in January 2020. I'll also throw in a few we're using at the various other places I play and lead.

I do feel that there are songs that God's hand is really on (call it 'anointed'). Some of these are for a place, for a time and some are longer lasting. Some songs come and go, others seem to go away and then suddenly re-appear!

Here are a few songs and some comment on why I feel the songs are working, so to speak!

Cory Asbury - Egypt (April 2020 update)

An upcoming song from Cory Asbury called 'Egypt' (not currently available anywhere except on a Bethel set on bethel.tv from July 2019) is absolutely incredible. I've done this and (like 'Goodness of God') the reaction from people touched by God has been so moving and humbling. Watch out for it. OK so as of April 2020 this song has been officially released. Couldn't be more appropriate timing either with the Coronavirus and Passover.

Cory Asbury and Cody Carnes - Christ Be Magnified

This is another incredible song with a bridge that's as powerful as 'What A Beautiful Name'. A song that was written after yet another high profile Christian turned their back on Jesus. This is a declaration of Christ being magnified in and through us no matter what. Stunning song.

Bethel - Raise A Hallelujah

In a way this has been a slow burner. I really felt this song would work when it was released and had heard it on a live Bethel service before it was released. So I did a backing track which I use when I lead elsewhere on my own or with a friend (tweaked over time). I find that when this song is sung, especially the chorus, it really means something to people. "I'm gonna sing in the middle of the storm..." is a declaration of defiance that God has got this.

YouTube link below but a better version available from - https://www.mediafire.com/file/zhtmgghnvht8liw/Raise-Master-E-click.mp3/file


Bethel - Goodness of God

When this first came out, I played this in 3 different places within a week. On each occasion, people were in tears, deeply moved by the lyrics and God was really touching their hearts. Each place saw people come up to me to really say thank you for bringing the song. So thank you Bethel and more importantly thank you God!

Housefires - Build My Life

While the song has been around for a while, this is a song of declaration that just keeps on going. The bridge is really strong, asserting 'I will build my life upon your love, it is a firm foundation. And I will put my trust in you alone and I will not be shaken.' But it's also a song of outreach, taking the love of God in us and sharing it, recognising who God is and what he does - 'Holy, there is no-one like you, there is none beside you, open up my eyes in wonder. And show me, who you are and fill me with your heart and lead me in your love to those around me.' Pat Barrett is a great song writer and humble worship leader - he's released some great other tunes too!

Hillsong - King of Kings

King of kings is a powerful song of doctrine which is in the vein of 'This I Believe (The Creed)' and 'What A Beautiful Name' etc. The song builds throughout and treats verse 3 and then verse 4 like a bridge with just a slight change in the chord progression in verse 3 and a very slight change of melody in verse 4 which is a bit like the bridge in 'What A Beautiful Name' in that it declares the truth and lifts your spirits! It's a song you could use at Christmas, at Easter and any time. The chorus is powerful (in the vein of 'O Praise The Name') saying, 'Praise the Father, praise the Son, praise the Spirit, three in one, God of glory, Majesty, praise forever to the King of kings...' Brilliant.

Hillsong - Who You Say I Am

After New Wine, one of the girls at church came up and asked if we could do this song. We'd done it while she was away and were aware of it. Since then we've used the song on and off and many find it powerful. It is an agreement with God about saying who he says we are. It's also about knowing that God loves and values each one of us uniquely.

Leeland - Way Maker / Sinach

This song has become an anthem in many places. Leeland are a great band with great melodies and an equally great heart. I heard them in Plymouth as part of the Big Church tour a couple of years ago and they loved playing in what was for them an 'old' English (Anglican) church. Great set and worship time. But this song has such a good chorus 'Way maker, miracle worker, promise keeper, light in the darkness. My God, that is who you are.' Everyone needs to remind themselves of this. The  added extras Leeland have added also help - 'even when I can't see it you're working, even when I can't feel it you're working... you never stop working.' Amen!


There are many more songs I could add - but also want to add in a few extras we've done on and off outside of church but that may be ones you'd like to use...

Molly Skaggs - 'Ain't No Grave' - this is an absolute stormtrooper of a song! Absolutely love this and have done a backing track for this too. We haven't done this at church but I've used it outside and people love it!

Link to our simple backing track (click track). The guitar is just done using the in-built one from Logic as I haven't had time to record it properly yet! https://www.mediafire.com/file/4y94d2qwibc0wof/Ain%27t_No_Grave.mp3/file

Brandon Lake / Tasha Cobbs - This Is A Move - Powerful song in the sense that we go from 'We want a move' (of God) to a prophecy - 'This is a move' (of God)

Cageless Birds - We Rise - from the Helsers and friends, this is a great song full of passion and offers a slightly different angle on worship.

Leeland - Where You Are - immensely powerful song, very 'soaking' in nature and works well with a band.

Matt Redman / Brandon Lake  - We Praise You

Pat Barrett - Hymn of the Holy Spirit - this is a powerful, mellow and Biblical song about the Holy Spirit.

Pat Barrett - Let Everything That Has Breath - (not the Matt Redman one) but a cracking little bouncing tune which is very singable in any worship situation.

Amanda Cook - Still - very powerful song (Psalm 46.10)

Kalley - Oasis - a bit of 'Taylor Swift' worship anyone? Right out of the usual Christian worship box and a stormer. Despite the deep sadness of losing their precious daughter.

Bethel? - You Are My Champion - great song and not sure why it didn't get more traction!

Josh Baldwin - Evidence of Your Goodness - some country style singing from the amazing Josh Baldwin

The McClures - Now I See - good foot stomping, Rend-collective-esque number from the talented Paul and Hannah McClure

No comments:

Post a Comment

No abuse or swearing or spam to other blogs cheers...